BUYER BEWARE: THE ROOM PLACE DOES NOT VALUE YOUR BUSINESS
I visited the Room Place on December 28th, 2012. I was greeted by a very friendly salesperson/assistant manager named "LJ". I told her I was looking for a reclining sofa and she proceeded to show me many sofas and explain the products. LJ and I had a good rapport and when she was called into a meeting she turned me over to Joan. Again, I had a great rapport with Joan and decided to buy a sofa. I paid a little over $1300 which included the 5 year warrantee and was completely satisfied with my shopping experience....until today. Today is January 11, 2012. I noticed that my sofa is about 3/4 " higher on the left side than the right side and after judiciously studying the sofa I took a picture and decided to visit the The Room Place to request an exchange or refund. When I got to store I spoke with Joan (who again was wonderful) and we looked at the floor model of my sofa and noticed that it had the same defect as the picture of my unit at home. Joan said I had to contact the Customer Loyalty Department at 630-783-8000 and they would have to send a technician to inspect my unit. I said “fine” and that I would be back. I visited The Room Place in Orland Park and to my surprise I saw the same unit with a similar defect. I asked about the return policy and the young lady salesperson at the Orland store told me "No returns. You buy it, you own it.
When I got to the car I read the return policy and to my shock it reads, "Merchandise received by customer in good condition is not returnable or cancelable and no refunds are available". I couldn't believe it. I had such a good rapport with the sales staff that I hadn't even bothered to read the return policy (not a habit BTW). I figured since the sofa was new I'd have 30 or at least 14 days to return or exchange the unit.
I called the Customer Loyalty Department and spoke with D. Romero who asked that I send a picture of the sofa and she would get back with me shortly. I sent the picture and did not hear from her. A few hours later I called Customer Loyalty again, this time I spoke with A. Rivera and sent the picture and was promised action....again, nothing.
I decided to go back to the Glenwood Store as I was intent on speaking with the store manager. I was told the store manager, who's name I was not given, was on vacation and that LJ could take care of it. Again LJ was wonderful to work with. She followed up with me and tried her best to take care of the problem. LJ was told by her superiors that they would not refund nor exchange the sofa. I even offered to purchase a more expensive sofa so they wouldn't lose any money but they wouldn't budge. LJ told me that she understood my point and was sorry and I should call Customer Loyalty (again) and ask for a manager. I did call Customer Loyalty and spoke with Arnie. Arnie told me that all the managers were unavailable or gone home for the day.
Customer Loyalty just called me (6:49 p.m.) and said they would not issue a refund or exchange because the other units have the same flaw. I don’t feel my request is unreasonable, I simply want to be made whole. Now I have a constant unwanted reminder of their supposed “Customer Loyalty” in my family room. Every time I look at this sofa I see the flaws and it heightens my displeasure with The Room Place.
Park Forest , IL
More Review Details
- Monetary loss:
- Review category
- Furniture and Decor
You May Also Like
- "I purchased a sectional sofa from The Room Place 2 years ago. Two months after the delivery I began calling describing my problems with my new sectional I had purchased..."
- "Hello John, Thank you for contacting Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc. in Arcadia, WI. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your Ashley furniture. All warranties are..."
- "my mattress isn't even a yr old !! between 2 to 3 months of buying this mattress it becomes a big puff of air in the middle an sinkholes..."
- "See Carnival Cruise Experience To whom it may concern: My husband and I went on the Carnival Splendor on September 24, 2016. This was not my first cruise with Carnival, nor..."
- "I ordered a trailer hitch, ball and wiring system all in one combo on Monday the 17th from etrailer.com. My card was charged immediately. They sent me an email 3..."
- "DO NOT USE THE LAWN GUY!!!!!!!! Was just scammed and lied to about service. So mad about how we were treated! Please save your money and time. Horrible company! Was told..."